Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Resolutions

It's funny how resolutions are so easily set aside amidst the everydayness of life (and yes, I just made up that word).  I really did want to keep up this blog, but writing a blog just doesn't seem to be my forte.  There are so many things that happen in my life, most of them not blog worthy.  But, since I have created no less than eight blogs in my lifetime as the world's worst blogger, I really should strive to keep at least one up-to-date, shouldn't I?

So, with that last paragraph in mind, I make a goal - not a resolution - to keep this blog slightly more up-to-date than has been previously accomplished.  (Doing this may require adding bits about school into the mix, or I'm likely to keep only that blog written in!)

We are headed into another birthday celebration of my eldest bairn this Saturday.  I was able to procure some tickets to a Broadway touring show for dirt cheap, so she got to go see "The Wizard of Oz" last Friday with myself and her daddy, who happens to be one of the world's biggest fans of the Judy Garland movie,  from which the musical is derived.  I kept it a surprise until we got there.  She knew we were going to a play, but didn't know which one.  As we walked toward the building, she looked at all the massive posters declaring the season and spied the one for Wizard and I knew she was hooked: that was what she wanted to see.  So, when we went inside and I let her see the tickets, jubilation ensued once suspicions were confirmed.  There was no one more excited in that momen than my daughter.  And they all wonder why I love surprises so much!

My lovely twins are turning eight in September.  In Church, this means that January and February are months that involve an evening devoted to "Eight is Great!"  My girls are blessed in that they have now been able to attend two such meetings - one the week before we moved and one the week after we moved.  It's fun to watch how differently they react to it.  One twin is very serious about the entire thing - baptism is serious business and all the information must be accumulated and digested appropriately.  The other twin is content with the information heard in the first meeting and no longer feels anxious, so this last meeting was a trifle boring ("When do we get to have cupcakes?" boring; "We've already sung this song a thousand times, it's getting boring" boring).  But they are both a heap more excited about the whole baptism and Faith in God award program than the eldest one ever was.  She was excited for Achievement Days (now called the rather blase Activity Days or the even worse 'Young Girls'), anxious about baptism and no one ever explained the Faith in God program to her so she doesn't care about it at all.  (That I shall be endeavoring to change this year as I help her set plently of goals to accomplish so that she can earn the award before she's twelve.)  I believe I shall have great success with helping the twins learn everything they can about baptism and ordinances and everything else associated, and we will have lovely evidences of learning for them to show people at their baptism.  Plans are brewing strong in my head!

We moved into a lovely home almost two weeks ago, after being told we needed to move unexpectedly.  I love how the Lord has His ways of moving us where we need to be when the time is right.  It was an excellent experience for me to teach my girls about the power of prayer coupled with hard work.  We must have looked at nearly twenty houses before we saw this one...after we had put down money on an application for another.  And then there was that instant feeling of "this is it, where we need to be" before running into roadblock after seeming roadblock trying to get in.  But, finally, we are here and about half-way unpacked (or slightly more) and loving the space and the light that this house has to offer.  There are children aplenty for my girls to play with - not all of them male like the last street (a fact that I didn't mind very much, they were lovely boys, but my girls need some feminine examples right now) and a much larger primary at Church.  I have room in which to begin those businesses I really want to get off the ground.  Don has room for both of his businesses without taking over the family room again...so many wonderful things about this home!  And the ward.  The ward is just what I needed.  Just what I've craved for a long time.  Intellectually and spiritually stimulating and filling.  At least last Sunday was.  I'm hopeful for a continuation!  The Relief Society presidency came to visit tonight and we actually had a wonderfully lovely chat.  And I didn't feel like a weirdo or outcast at the end of it, like I'm wont to do after meeting with people from church normally.  Is there hope for me?  I'm so filled with optimism, you've no idea.

Girls have their day away tomorrow so I shall work hard at getting their rooms organized whilst their occupied elsewhere.  Surprise them will lovely put-together rooms on their return.  Sounds like a lovely idea.  To quote Nephi from "Liken the Scriptures": Life could not be better!

No comments: